Orin J. Cohen Law
Available 24/7 - Free Consultation
Email Us

What is the state of New York doing to reduce car accidents?

In New York, traffic is a fact of life. You can't seem to find a good time to go out because everyone else thought of it, too. The state of New York has implemented a program called by the acronym HELP, or Highway Emergency Local Patrol.

This program is to facilitate the safe and efficient movement of both people and commodities. It strives to minimize traffic congestion, and improve the operation of the New York state highway system. It is said to be an essential arm of the Department of Transportation's Incident Management Program.

It is fostering partnerships with the local police and statewide with the authorities. It is also getting input from the emergency response departments across the state of New York.

It is one of the nation's largest roadway service patrol programs and can be said to be very successful, too.

Unfortunately, even with this program in place, not everyone drives defensively. Some people only think of their own agenda for the day and drive recklessly and carelessly. You can be severely injured and face property damage to your car if you are involved in a car accident.

The HELP program was begun because of the large amount of congestion when there was a single incident on the road, like a broken down vehicle or a crash that covered multiple lanes of traffic. HELP greatly reduces the wait time when there is a car accident on a roadway by providing quick emergency roadside services to the vehicles involved.

It is a free service to everyone on the roadways of the state of New York.

HELP provides motorist assistance to all cars and trucks traveling on the 1485 miles of limited access interstate highways, parkways and also expressways in many of the burroughs and towns of New York.

There are approximately 100 service trucks available for use and this includes all back-up trucks. There are a total of 25 patrol areas. The service trucks are not driven by staff at the New York State Department of Transportation or contracted out. They are driven by local Transportation Management Centers.

Have you been injured in a car accident? You may want to contact an attorney who can deal with insurance companies and can help you with a civil court case as well.

Source: New York State Department of Transportation, "HELP program," accessed June 09, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us Today

Let us help with your case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

attorney advertising


Orin J. Cohen Law
1162 Victory Boulevard
Staten Island, NY 10301-3623

Phone: 718-303-2995
Fax: 718-650-9965
Staten Island Law Office Map

Available 24/7 - Free Consultation