Orin J. Cohen Law
Available 24/7 - Free Consultation
Email Us

After a hit and run accident, what are you supposed to do?

In our last post, we talked about a serious accident that occurred at a stop sign in Staten Island. Unfortunately, accidents like this happen all the time at intersection, and in some cases, one of the drivers involved in the wreck decides to speed off in his or her vehicle. These hit and run accidents are devastating for the person who is left at the scene.

So let's say you happen to be on the wrong side of a hit and run accident -- what should you do? How can you get justice from an accident when the other person seemingly drives off and disappears forever?

First of all, you should resist the urge to chase down your hit and run fugitive. He or she will likely be caught without you risking your life in a pursuit of vigilante justice.

What you can do to aid the police is mark down details about the vehicle who hit you, and even the driver in the vehicle if you saw him or her. The make of the vehicle, the color of the vehicle, the license plate -- all of this is crucial information. Write it down and provide it to the police, along with any names of witnesses who saw the wreck.

You can also file a claim with your insurance agency with similar information. Also, while you're at the accident scene, make sure to accept the medical care that you are offered. This provides a medical record of your injuries which can be referenced later should you file a personal injury lawsuit against the hit and run driver.

Source: DMV, "Tips For Handling A Hit And Run Driver Claim," Accessed Nov. 26, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us Today

Let us help with your case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

attorney advertising


Orin J. Cohen Law
1162 Victory Boulevard
Staten Island, NY 10301-3623

Phone: 718-303-2995
Fax: 718-650-9965
Staten Island Law Office Map

Available 24/7 - Free Consultation